Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Of the People

Two important people in my life have said essentially the same thing: "Every good work of art/contra dance has a story behind it."

I do believe this is true. I also believe we all want to be part of that story.

How can we be a part of the story when we're contra dancing? Well, one way is simply knowing the title and background of the dances, which give us a glimpse into the "why" behind a dance's construction.

I am inspired to go even deeper. Does knowing those facts about a dance affect how you dance it? Does the music play a role? Do you FEEL a story (beyond what the title suggests) while you are dancing? What IS that story?

I'd like to hear from YOU about what a dance invokes IN YOU as you dance it. Think of the music, the environment, the people, the motion.

So... find me at the break, or catch me at the end of the evening. Tell me what story YOU hear when you dance. And, with your permission, I'd LOVE to record you and possibly put your story together with others'.

To find out where I'll be next, check out my website.

See you on the dance floor!

No comments:

Post a Comment